New York Sexual Assault Injury Lawyer
Sexual assault and abuse are criminal acts in New York state. There are also grounds for a personal injury lawsuit in which the at-fault party is held accountable for the victim’s injuries and damages.
Any unwanted sexual contact to which the victim did not consent is considered sexual assault. Sexual assault also applies to a victim who is a minor or in an unequal relationship to the at-fault party (for example, if the alleged offender is a doctor or therapist).
If you or your child has suffered physical and emotional pain from sexual assault or abuse, you could be entitled to compensation. A sexual assault injury lawyer with Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will protect your rights and help you pursue compensation for medical bills, pain and suffering, and other types of damages.
We Help Sexual Assault Victims With Compassionate Legal Services
Victims of sexual assault have the right to seek compensation regardless of any criminal proceedings. In 2019, New York made significant changes to legal statutes for adults and children who want to file a lawsuit for damages against the at-fault party or parties. This legislation, called the Child Victims Act, eliminates the statute of limitations in certain cases and empowers victims with greater flexibility for legal action.
However, navigating these laws is complex. A sexual assault injury lawyer with Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will help you understand your legal rights and how you could recover compensation from the liable parties.
Our legal services for sexual assault cases include:
- Free, no-obligation case review.
- As your counsel, we will investigate the details of your case to identify all liable parties.
- Everything you discuss with your lawyer is held in strict confidence and is protected through attorney-client privilege.
- We consult with expert Depending upon the particular details of your case, we work with medical doctors, vocational rehabilitation specialists, life care planners, and economists to understand how your physical and emotional injuries are related to your damages, such as medical bills or lost income.
- We help you recover compensation on a contingency basis, where you only owe attorney fees if we are successful in our efforts.
Sexual offenders should be held accountable for your injuries and losses. For a free consultation at our office or wherever it is convenient for you to meet on Long Island or in the greater New York City area, please call (516) 932-0400.
Establishing Liability in a Sexual Assault Case
Our legal team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will include any criminal charges against the offender as part of our evidence for a personal injury lawsuit, but we also conduct a thorough investigation of our own.
In our experience, sexual assault or abuse does not occur in a vacuum. There are often individuals or entities that enabled the offender.
- A hospital that does not discipline or suspend a doctor who has been accused of sexual abuse while it investigates these charges.
- A school that does not conduct proper background checks and hires a known offender.
- A company that does not respond appropriately when an employee files a sexual assault or abuse claim.
These are examples of vicarious liability. A sexual assault lawyer will name all liable parties who did not act when they were obligated to do so in order to prevent the harm you were subjected to.
Establishing Negligence When Duty of Care Is Breached
A personal injury lawsuit requires a preponderance of evidence to seek compensation from the at-fault party.
A lawyer with Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will gather evidence to show that it is more likely than not that the defendant caused your injuries and damages:
- The at-fault party owed you a duty of care to prevent you from being harmed.
- This duty of care was breached.
- You suffered physical and emotional injuries.
- You have damages because of these injuries.
Since 1991, Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. has been passionate advocates for those harmed by someone’s negligence. We look forward to helping you seek compensation.
For a free case review, please call (516) 932-0400.
The Kinds of Damages Pursued in a Sexual Assault Case
Compensatory damages in a sexual assault lawsuit will probably include both special and general damages. These are also known as economic and noneconomic damages.
Special damages are specific costs, such as a prescription or a doctor’s visit. General damages are losses like pain and suffering or loss of consortium. These are damages that affect you but are more challenging to assign a value.
A lawyer with Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will assess your injuries to determine what kinds of damages to pursue, including:
- Medical care including therapies and rehabilitation
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
- Lost wages due to inability to work or to work at a level commensurate with education or experience
- Loss of consortium if the assault made it difficult for the victim to enjoy intimate relationships
Our firm has successfully recovered compensation for clients through insurance settlements and verdicts. You only have a limited time to take legal action, so please do not hesitate to call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. for a free case review: (516) 932-0400.
We Help You Each Step of the Way
Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. has clients throughout Long Island and the New York metropolitan area.
Our legal team will protect your rights and treat your case with personalized care, including:
- Consistent communication with regular updates on your case
- Identifying all liable parties
- Communicating with all liable parties on your behalf
- Gathering evidence to show liability
- Establishing a value for your current and expected damages
For your comfort and convenience, our multilingual staff speaks English, Spanish, Greek, Tamil, Bengali, and Kannada.
Get Immediate Help for a Sexual Assault Victim
If you or a loved one was sexually assaulted, get immediate police and medical help. The New York Office of Victim Services offers guidance, support, and referrals for victims and their family members.
Once you are safe, please call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. to find out if you could recover compensation. You deserve to know your legal rights. For a free case review, call (516) 932-0400.