If you or someone you love suffered injuries and other losses in a construction accident in Brookhaven, New York, you could be entitled to damages. The personal injury team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., is here to help.
Falls continue to be the number one cause of construction deaths in New York State, according to a recent report from the New York Committee for Occupational Safety and Health (NYCOSH). Over the past decade, an average of 42 construction workers died each year due to falls.
Who May Be Liable in Your Brookhaven Construction Accident Case
Whether you were injured on the job or sustained injuries as a pedestrian or driver passing by the construction site, you might be eligible to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party or parties. The following parties could be legally liable if they acted in a negligent or reckless manner that led to your injuries:
- Construction site managers
- Manufacturers of equipment used at the job sit
Depending upon the circumstances of your case, the property owner and general contractor may have legal and financial liability even if they were not negligent.
Our team handles construction accident cases in Brookhaven, NY. We will identify the liable party in your accident and hold them to account in an injury claim or lawsuit.
For a free legal consultation with a construction accidents lawyer serving Brookhaven, call 516-932-0400
Compensation You Could Recover in a Construction Accident Case
If you were injured in an accident on a construction site due to someone else’s negligence, you could be facing steep medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering as a result. Two types of damages may be recoverable in your injury case: economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are easier to calculate. We will place a dollar value on the economic damages resulting from the physical injuries you suffered as a result of the construction accident. They include:
- Current & future medical expenses – (e.g., hospitalization, surgeries, assistive medical devices, physical therapy, rehabilitation, prescription medications)
- Lost income – (e.g., days you missed from work as a result of your accident and subsequent injuries due to doctor’s visits, physical therapy appointments)
- Lost earning capacity – (e.g., if you can no longer perform your job duties due to the injuries you sustained, bonuses or promotions you missed out on)
- Other out-of-pocket costs
Non-economic damages cover how the accident and your injuries have negatively impacted your life. Broadly termed pain and suffering, these can include, among other consequences of the physical pain you have been subjected to:
- Permanent disability – Perhaps you are confined to a wheelchair or suffered severe head trauma in the construction accident
- Mental anguish – Trauma from the accident may require psychological counseling due to any resulting anxiety, depression, or insomnia.
- Disfigurement or scarring – The accident has left you with permanent scars or has forever altered your appearance.
- Loss of enjoyment of activities – Due to your accident-related injuries, you can no longer enjoy hobbies or activities you did prior to the accident, such as gardening or working out.
Brookhaven Construction Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
What a Lawyer From Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will do for You
When a lawyer from our firm handles your Brookhaven construction accident case, it could relieve you of the stress of dealing with any legal hurdles. While we tirelessly work your case from start to finish, you can focus on your medical treatment, physical as well as emotional healing, and rebuilding your life.
A lawyer from our firm will do all of the following:
- Update you on your case – You should never feel left in the dark, so our team will keep you updated on any new developments as your case proceeds.
- Determine liable parties – Identifying the liable parties in your case can be a complex process. We will determine who is responsible and hold them to account in a claim or lawsuit.
- Handle all communications – Our team will handle all negotiations with the at-fault party and their insurance company. We advise you not to speak with the insurance representative directly, as they could use what you say against you.
- Collect evidence – We will gather all evidence in your case, including the police or incident report, your medical records, witness statements, and any surveillance videos or photographs that exist from the construction site accident.
- Place a value on your case – Our team will assess the details of your case and place a value on all of your damages to help you receive the best possible outcome based on the facts of your case.
- Fight tirelessly on your behalf,< to win the best possible case outcome for you
Statute of Limitations in Your Construction Accident Case
You have a limited amount of time to file a personal injury lawsuit in New York, per New York Civil Practice Laws & Rules (CVP) §214. Keep in mind that the clock starts ticking the day the accident occurred.
For wrongful death cases, you have a certain amount of time to file from the date of the person’s death, per Estates, Powers & Trusts (EPT) §5-4.1. However, there are exceptions to both of these statutes based on the facts of your unique case. Our team will let you know what your exact filing deadline is and keep your case moving forward.
Call a Team Member From Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. Today
Reach out to Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., and let us get started on your case. Our multilingual staff is able to assist you in Spanish, Greek, Bengali, Tamil, and Kannada for your convenience and comfort. The initial consultation is free, so do not delay.
Call (516) 932-0400 to discuss your case with a team member in Suffolk County today.