Nursing home abuse can cause injuries, suffering, and even the death of a loved one. If you lost a family member because of a staff member or a facility’s negligence, please accept our deepest condolences. We are passionate about and dedicated to winning the compensation you need and the justice your departed loved one deserves.
Our lawyers represent nursing home abuse victims and their families in Brookhaven, whether these actions resulted in death, severe injuries, or financial hardships.With our accessible, comprehensive, and passionate approach to personal injury law, we will fight for your family’s right to hold the liable parties accountable.
In This Article
- Holding a Nursing Home Financially Accountable for Abuse
- Benefits of Working with an Attorney from Our Firm
- Legal help from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. is just a phone call away
Holding a Nursing Home Financially Accountable for Abuse
The New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) mandates that nursing home staff members must file a report when they suspect the abuse of a resident. It also outlines and provides examples of the different categories of nursing home abuse recognized under New York State law:
- Abuse, neglect, and mistreatment: This refers to physical, mental, verbal, and sexual abuse, isolation, use of restraints, and failure to address the residents’ needs to prevent any harm.
- Misappropriation: This refers to theft and the misuse of a resident’s property or funds, as well as exploitation.
- Issues with quality of care: This includes medication errors or misuse.
Depending on the type of abuse your loved one suffered and the results of that abuse, there could be various recoverable damages in your case. In general, the categories of compensation for abuse include:
If the abuse resulted in physical injuries, you could recover the costs associated with your loved one’s medical treatment. This includes expenses for:
- Pain medication
- Visits to a doctor or hospital stays
- Imaging and tests
- Wheelchairs, canes, or other assistive medical devices
When calculating these damages, our team will account for the costs you had to cover out of pocket up to this point, outstanding bills, and estimated future treatment expenses.
If your loved one suffered financial abuse at their nursing home, you could recoup the stolen or misused cash and assets.
Your family could also be facing expenses for your loved one’s final arrangements if the abuse led to their passing. In that case, our team will seek funeral, burial, and related expenses in your financial recovery.
Pain and Suffering
If abuse caused your loved one to experience chronic pain, depression, or other kinds of suffering in their daily life, we will account for this in your damages as well.
For a free legal consultation with a nursing home abuse lawyer serving Brookhaven, call 516-932-0400
Benefits of Working with an Attorney from Our Firm
The goal of our services is to make the process of seeking compensation as simple as possible for you. We do not want your case to be the source of any additional stress or pain for your family. You should never have to:
- Feel lost regarding your case – we will update you on every important development and throughout each step
- Wonder who to hold accountable or how to make a case against them – we will identify the liable party or parties
- Speak with the liable party or their representatives – we will communicate on your behalf
- Spend time looking for evidence to support your case – we will handle this during our investigation
- Worry that your case is undervalued – we will account for all of your damages and calculate their value using evidence and industry standards
These are not the only benefits our team provides when you work with us. There are several other advantages of having a lawyer from our firm take over your nursing home abuse case in Brookhaven, including:
No-Risk Legal Representation
At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., we believe cost should never be a factor in whether injury victims decide to seek financial recovery. If a negligent nursing home facility or staff member in Suffolk County caused your loved one’s injuries, we want our services to be as accessible as possible.
As such, our attorneys work based on contingency. This means we will cover all of the resources and legal costs related to your case, and you won’t owe anything unless you receive compensation. If we win your case, our attorney’s fees come out of your settlement or verdict – rather than your pocket. To ensure we are on the same page, we will gladly and patiently discuss this fee structure further with you before you start working with us.
When we combine this with our complimentary initial case review, it means there is no risk whatsoever to hire us for your case.
We put Our Clients’ Needs First
Dealing with the aftermath of discovering nursing home abuse is already taxing enough. You will likely have a lot on your plate, which is why we are willing to come to you for any meetings regarding your case. Our team will arrange to meet with you in Suffolk County, as well as anywhere on Long Island or within the New York metropolitan area.
Our staff is also multilingual, which allows us to offer assistance in Bengali, Spanish, Greek, Tamil, and Kannada as needed. Google reviews from our previous clients provide even more insight into our passionate advocacy for the injured:
- “From the moment Michelle and Mr. Friedman greeted me I knew I was in good hands!! They took the time to carefully review my case and made sure I had the best outcome possible.”
- “NEVER felt so safe with my personal business…even after the settlement they have reached out to me to make sure I was alright. They should be your first choice without question.”
- “By the end of my whole experience I felt as if they all are old friends…from the bottom of my heart I couldn’t be more happy with all of their advice and guidance.”
Our efforts have allowed us to secure more than $250 million in damages for our clients. We would be honored to do the same for you and your family.
Brookhaven Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Legal help from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. is just a phone call away
We advise you not to wait to get started. State statutes like New York Civil Practice Laws & Rules § 214 restrict the amount of time you have to file a lawsuit for personal injury in Brookhaven. Even shorter timelines apply in cases of wrongful death, medical malpractice or if other conditions apply, which we will thoroughly review to make sure your rights are protected.
Take advantage of our free consultation today to discuss how our nursing home injury attorneys will help: (516) 932-0400.