According to New York’s Department of Health statistics, pedestrian-related accidents are a leading cause of injury-based hospital admissions and fatalities for almost all age groups. Injured pedestrians are sometimes referred to as vulnerable road users, it is rare for pedestrians to come out of a collision unharmed.
If the driver who caused your accident was negligent behind the wheel, they might be liable for any damages you suffered due to their recklessness. The Mineola personal injury lawyers from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will review the evidence for driver negligence and build your claim for compensation for your physical, emotional, and financial losses.
- What is Driver Negligence, and How Does it Relate to Pedestrian Accidents?
- Types of Compensation Available in Pedestrian Accident Cases for Victims
- Our Pedestrian Injury Lawyers Will Fight for the Compensation You Deserve
- Contact our Mineola Pedestrian Accident Attorneys for a Free Consultation Today
What is Driver Negligence, and How Does it Relate to Pedestrian Accidents?
Unfortunately, according to a recent report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), pedestrian-related accidents are on the rise, with older people and children being especially at risk, but what is driver negligence, and how does it apply to your case?
Negligence is a legal term that refers to a person’s failure to take proper care in their actions, resulting in injury or damage to someone else. In pedestrian accidents, driver negligence could involve:
- Speeding or types of reckless driving
- Driving while impaired by drugs or alcohol
- Failure to give legal right of way to people on foot across sidewalks or crosswalks at intersections
- Failing to obey traffic controls or signals
- Texting while driving or other forms of distracted driving
- Dangerous backing up or reversing
- Drowsy driving
- Poor driver observation
Evidence is Key in Proving Your Case and Your Financial Damages
To succeed in your personal injury case, we must prove the at-fault party was negligent. Substantial evidence is pivotal in establishing your case. As such, our pedestrian accident attorneys will gather the following types of evidence to support your claim where possible:
- Medical records
- Police reports
- CCTV (i.e., surveillance video,) and dashcam footage
- Photographs and other evidence taken at the scene
- Eyewitness statements
- Expert testimony from medical and economic experts
- Your account of the accident
While many accidents are caused by driver negligence, other parties could also cause or contribute to the event. Examples include negligent employers, government agencies responsible for the upkeep of roads, or vehicle part manufacturers. Whatever the cause of your accident, we will carefully examine the facts of your case to identify all potentially liable parties to ensure everyone responsible is held to account for their actions.
For a free legal consultation with a Pedestrian Accident lawyer serving Mineola, call 516-932-0400
Types of Compensation Available in Pedestrian Accident Cases for Victims
Compensation is an umbrella term used to describe the different types of financial damages that could be recovered in a personal injury case. There are many ways a pedestrian might be affected by their injuries which often extend far beyond physical pain.
Missing time from work while you recover means losing out on wages and worries about paying unexpected medical bills and meeting other financial obligations adding pressure to an already difficult situation. You could also experience anxiety or other forms of emotional distress following the accident. You might also need ongoing care in the future, especially if your injuries are serious enough to prevent you from returning to work.
As such, when we assess the financial damages you have suffered, we will consider every way your injuries impact your home and work life, now and in the future. This provides clarity about the different types of compensation available to you related to the following:
- Medical bills, treatment, and rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages and other work-related benefits
- Compensation if your injuries affect your ability to work or prevent you from returning to work
- Pain, suffering, and inconvenience caused by the accident
- Emotional distress
- Impaired or diminished quality of life
If the accident caused the loss of a loved one, we would extend our sincerest condolences. We consider it a special honor to support surviving families in wrongful death cases when they choose us to represent them in sensitive and personal legal matters. Please do reach out if you would like more information about how we will advocate for you and for your departed loved one in this situation.
Mineola Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Our Pedestrian Injury Lawyers Will Fight for the Compensation You Deserve
Our clients trust us to manage their legal matters during challenging times because we treat them as we would our own families. With us, your needs always come first, and we take the time to understand every way your injuries have impacted your life to ensure your settlement is appropriate and meets your current and ongoing needs.
We take our commitment to our clients very seriously. In practical terms, this means we offer a free consultation and provide our legal services on a no-win, no-fee basis. This means that when you choose Friedman & Simon LLP as your injury lawyers you will never have to pay a legal fee or case expense out of pocket. We are paid only if and when we win a money recovery for you.
You can take comfort in knowing that we will always keep you updated about the progression of your claim and we will build a robust case for you by:
- Closely examining the facts of your case to identify liable parties.
- Managing case administration and communications with all parties.
- Gathering evidence to prove the responsible party’s negligence and your financial damages.
- Determining a value for your case.
- Working with medical and financial professionals for expert testimony.
- Negotiating for an appropriate settlement.
- Representing you in court when necessary.
How Long Do I Have To File A Pedestrian Accident Lawsuit?
In New York, there is limited time to file a personal injury lawsuit or wrongful death action. However, certain factors could apply to your case that could lengthen or decrease this time. While we will gladly review your case and advise you as to the specific deadlines that apply to initiate legal action as soon as possible is beneficial to avoid complications. If you have questions, please do reach out.
Contact our Mineola Pedestrian Accident Attorneys for a Free Consultation Today
For more than three decades, the legal team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. has been fighting for compensation for those injured due to the negligence of others. Our proven track record of successful case results speaks to our commitment to hard work and going the extra mile for everyone we represent. So let us put our experience, knowledge, and resources to work for you, too.
Call for a free consultation to learn more about what our Mineola pedestrian accident lawyers can do for you today.