You should not have to deal with the financial impact of a car accident all by yourself. In Massapequa, you have options for getting the compensation that you and your family need to cover the costs of the accident and the injuries that it has caused you. However, knowing where to start, calculating your damages, and protecting your rights can be overwhelming.
A Massapequa car accident lawyer from our firm can help you by making sure that the right steps are being taken on your behalf. At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., we offer a free consultation so that you can learn more about pursuing compensation after a car accident. We also have multilingual staff and are available to meet you anywhere in the New York metropolitan area or Long Island.
Working With a Lawyer from Our Firm
An attorney from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will take care of all the steps in the legal process on your behalf. During a free consultation with one of our team members, you can explain what happened during your car accident, how it has affected you, and ask any questions about the legal process and recovering compensation.
When you call our office, you will be treated with respect. You will be listened to with patience and compassion for the trauma you have experienced and the aftereffects that you are dealing with. If you choose to proceed, we will gather evidence to support your claim and conduct an investigation. Some of the services that our team will provide include:
- Keeping you updated on your case – Knowing what is happening with your case can give you peace of mind and help you understand how the process works.
- Identifying liable parties – Depending on the details of your collision, there may be multiple parties who owe you compensation. An example would be a truck accident where the driver was working for their employer at the time of the crash. In such a case both driver and employer might be legally liable for the harm you’ve suffered.
- Communicating with all parties for you – Many phone calls and emails may come through daily regarding your case. Your lawyer will respond to them on your behalf and keep the case moving forward. This can be a major relief for severely injured individuals or people with many responsibilities at home or work.
- Gathering evidence – Knowing where to find evidence to support your case and secure it before it disappears is incredibly important. Your lawyer has experience with this and can make sure that no stone is left unturned.
- Determining a value for your case – Your lawyer will also make sure to seek compensation for every recoverable expense incurred by you as a result of the accident. If your injuries are catastrophic and permanent, it is important to ask for enough support to cover your expenses well into the future.
These are just a few examples of how a Massapequa car accident lawyer from our team will support you during the legal process. If you have a concern or question about how a civil case works, we can begin to address them during your case assessment. The initial consultation is complimentary, and there is no obligation to proceed, so you have nothing to lose.
Proving Fault After a Car Accident
Before you can receive compensation, we have to prove that the other party caused the accident. This typically requires showing that they drove negligently and that you likely would not have been injured had they driven with more care and attention. There are many different ways to show driver negligence.
One of the most common examples is distracted driving. New York law prohibits drivers from using handheld devices while driving for the purpose of texting or making phone calls, according to the New York Department of Motor Vehicles (NYSDMV). Despite this, many drivers choose to ignore the law and take their eyes off the road while they are behind the wheel.
One example of an investigative step our team might take, if circumstances so dictate, would be to request the driver’s phone records, among other documents, to prove whether cell phone use played a role in the collision. Here are a few more examples of negligence that we could build your case around:
- Drunk driving
- Drugged driving
- Falling asleep at the wheel
- Road rage or aggressive driving
- Disobeying traffic laws like yielding the right-of-way
- Failing to maintain a safe vehicle
We Will Look for Evidence of Driver Negligence
If you are not sure what happened in your accident or how the other driver caused it, that is okay. A lawyer on our team will gather evidence from a variety of sources—a few examples include:
- Police reports
- Eyewitness testimony
- Nearby video surveillance and dash-cam video
- Consults with experts
- Inspections of the vehicles involved in the crash
- Inspecting the scene of the accident
- Reviewing your medical records from any treatment received related to the accident
Some of this evidence may disappear not long after the collision, or eyewitnesses may not remember as many details about the accident. The sooner you contact us, the greater our opportunity will be to build the strongest case possible for you.
Available Compensation for Car Accident Victims
Several types of compensation may be recoverable in your car accident case. In general, you can seek reimbursement for any expense that is reasonably related to the collision. The most common example is the medical bills that you receive for the treatment of your injuries.
If you suffer catastrophic or permanent injuries, your medical bills can pile up quickly. Permanent injuries also usually require ongoing medical care, such as prescriptions or physical therapy. This can get incredibly expensive over time.
A few other types of damages that you could seek in your lawsuit include:
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Impaired quality of life
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
When you work with our Massapequa car accident lawyer, they will ensure that you seek the appropriate level of compensation.
Call Our Attorneys Today for a Free Consultation
Our team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. wants to help you make sense of this chaotic and stressful situation. While you focus on healing, we will focus on getting you the appropriate outcome that you deserve. For a free consultation regarding your Massapequa collision, call (516) 932-0400.