While electric scooters, or e-scooters, have become an increasingly popular way to get around Long Island, the number of accidents and injuries experienced that involve e-scooters have also grown significantly.
If you were a victim of one of these crashes, a Long Island personal injury lawyer from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. is here to support you.
We provide free case reviews and will discuss your legal options for holding the at-fault party responsible. So no matter if a car hit you, if you fell because of a malfunction, or if a scooter rider struck you, we can provide you with effective legal representation and guide you through your case.
- Let a Personal Injury Attorney from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. Handle Your Scooter Accident Claim
- How Much Is a Long Island Scooter Accident Claim Worth?
- Timeline for Filing Your Long Island Scooter Accident Case
- Proving Causation and Liability in a Long Island Scooter Accident
- Let Our Team Assess Your Long Island Scooter Crash Legal Case for Free
Let a Personal Injury Attorney from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. Handle Your Scooter Accident Claim
A lawyer from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. can handle your insurance claim or sue the responsible party for your injuries. Our team is committed to l staying on top of developments, both legal and technological, as more and more of these scooter cases enter the justice system.
If your accident involves a scooter rented from companies like Lime or Swiftmile, these lawsuits share similarities with rideshare accidents, but they also have their differences. As a result, the laws governing their use and precedents regarding what happens when an accident occurs are still somewhat vague and unsettled.
Count on our lawyers to sort through the uncertainty and handle your claim. When we go to work for you, we will:
- Keep you up to date on the progress and any developments in your case.
- Identify all potentially liable parties.
- Communicate with all attorneys and insurers for you.
- Collect evidence to prove negligence and responsibility.
- Determine a value for your claim and seek an appropriate settlement.
- Fight to win the best possible outcome for you.
We represent injured Long Island accident victims based on contingency fees. We do not charge a retainer. Instead, we receive a portion of any compensation we recover for you.
For a free legal consultation with a Scooter Accident lawyer serving Long Island, call 516-932-0400
How Much Is a Long Island Scooter Accident Claim Worth?
When there is evidence that another party acted carelessly or negligently, and their actions caused your losses and injuries, you could qualify to secure compensation to cover the following types of damages:
- Medical treatment and related expenses
- Lost wages and other income
- Property damages
- Related expenses
- Pain and suffering losses
Lasting injuries also call for additional types of damages, such as:
- Future medical needs
- Ongoing care and support
- Diminished earning capacity
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Diminished quality of life
Our team determines an appropriate settlement value of our clients’ scooter accident claims based on their unique circumstances, such as the severity of their injuries and the cost of their care.
Severe Injuries Can Lead to Death in a Long Island Scooter Crash
If you lost a loved one in an e-scooter accident, please accept heartfelt condolences from our entire team. We consider it a privilege that you would choose us to represent you and fight for justice for your family.
Our scooter accident attorneys are determined to pursue and win the compensation your family deserves based on the facts of your loved one’s case. Let Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. discuss filing a wrongful death action on behalf of your family today.
Long Island Scooter Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Timeline for Filing Your Long Island Scooter Accident Case
The most critical deadline you must meet in any personal injury case is the statute of limitations for suing the liable party. If you miss this deadline, you will likely lose the right to sue. Deadlines on Long Island include:
- Personal injury: New York Civil Practice Laws & Rules § 214
- Wrongful death: Estates, Powers & Trusts § 5-4.1
However, other reasons to act quickly have nothing to do with New York State law. Acting quickly allows us to identify and gather as much support as possible for your claim.
Some evidence disappears quickly following a crash. We need to go to work canvassing for eyewitnesses, looking for video, and taking other steps to solidify your case as soon as possible. We also must ask the e-scooter company to preserve any evidence they gathered related to your incident.
Proving Causation and Liability in a Long Island Scooter Accident
Determining liability for an e-scooter accident and any resulting injuries depends on the circumstances of the accident. In some cases, a scooter rental company like Bird or VeoRide might be responsible. In others, it is an individual.
We must collect evidence to prove what caused the crash before we identify the responsible party or parties. For example:
- A motorist might be responsible if they violated a traffic law and struck an e-scooter rider.
- The e-scooter company might be liable if the device stopped abruptly and crashed. One Bloomberg journalist experienced this scenario on an electric scooter.
- The e-scooter manufacturer might be responsible if a defective part that caused the brakes to fail.
- The scooter rider might be liable if they collided with a pedestrian while riding on the sidewalk.
In some cases, what happened seems straightforward initially before discovering a problem with the scooter or bad behavior on the part of the rider. Therefore, we must look at all pertinent facts before filing a claim.
Long Island Laws and Scooter Accidents
Since e-scooters and dockless rentals are still relatively new, some locations are still passing laws about them. Suffolk County, for example, has strict rules about who and where riders can use these scooters under Ch. 221, Art. II. Under New York State traffic codes, riders must follow all applicable traffic laws, as well.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Let Our Team Assess Your Long Island Scooter Crash Legal Case for Free
Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. provides complimentary case reviews for those hurt in e-scooter accidents. We meet with people in Nassau or Suffolk counties or elsewhere in the New York metropolitan area. Our multilingual staff also assists you with your case in Spanish, Greek, Bengali, Tamil, and Kannada, if you prefer.
Call (516) 932-0400 now to learn more about your next steps in securing a financial recovery based on your scooter accident injuries.