According to statistics compiled by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, a hit and run accident happens in the United States once every 43 seconds. This led to roughly 2,050 fatalities in 2016 alone.
Hit and run accidents are especially frustrating for innocent drivers. While motorists injured by another’s negligence always face challenges in recovering compensation, these challenges often increase when a driver leaves the scene of the crash.
If you are concerned about your legal rights after a hit and run accident, let a Baldwin hit and run accident lawyer guide you through the legal claims process. Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will take on this challenging situation for you, advocate on your behalf and fight to get you the compensation you deserve. To get started, call (516) 932-0400 to speak with our team today.
What to Do After a Hit and Run Accident
The steps you take in the hours, days, and weeks following a hit and run accident can impact not only your legal rights but also your potential health and safety. By acting carefully, you could prevent further injury and protect your legal claim in the wake of a hit and run accident. Steps you can take include the following:
- Contact the police. If you were injured or suffered significant property damage, the police can take down an accident report and even work to identify the other driver. Often, the police can track down the other driver in the minutes following a hit and run accident. This step is critically important with respect to your rights if the at-fault driver escapes without ever being identified. Certain claims you may still be able to make require that the accident was reported to the police within 24 hours of when it occurred.
- Remain at the scene. It might be tempting to follow the other driver, but you should remain at the scene. This will make it easier to make contact with the police. Additionally, chasing another driver could put you at risk of another collision or, if the at-fault driver hit and ran for some crime-related reason unrelated to the accident itself, you may be putting yourself at risk of further physical harm by chasing that driver.
- Document the accident scene. To the greatest extent that it is safe to do so, take photos and video of the scene and your vehicle, ideally, in the position the car(s) came to a stop after the collision but before they were subsequently moved from that position. If there are independent witnesses nearby, take down their contact information.
- Seek medical attention. If you are injured, do not hesitate to seek out medical care right away. Injuries from a car accident can worsen over time, making immediate treatment important to your recovery. From a legal perspective, records of medical treatment are far more persuasive and compelling in terms of proving injuries than a mere, “I was hurt,” statement from a claimant.
- Speak with an attorney. An attorney can play a vitally important role in a hit and run accident claim. Your attorney could potentially track down the other driver or assist you with your insurance claim even if the hit and run driver and that vehicle’s owner remain unidentified.
For a free legal consultation with a hit and run accidents lawyer serving Baldwin, call 516-932-0400
Why Hit and Run Accidents Happen
If you are confused about why another driver would leave the scene of a crash, you are not alone. Most drivers expect that, as the law requires, the other party involved in an accident to pull over and stop to exchange insurance information. Unfortunately, that is not always what happens. Some of the reasons why drivers leave the scene of an accident include:
- Lack of insurance. State law requires every driver to maintain liability insurance when they drive. Unfortunately, not every driver abides by these requirements. To avoid liability, uninsured drivers might flee the scene of a crash.
- Arrest warrant. Some motorists leave the scene of a crash due to an active arrest warrant. This warrant could be for a serious felony or the failure to appear for a traffic ticket. Either way, the fear of arrest can motivate a person to leave the scene.
- Criminal activity. Drivers might also fear arrest if they broke the law prior to the crash. This could involve driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Indifference. Some drivers may either be unaware that they were in an accident or assumed that the collision was minor. Other drivers might simply not care about the consequences of the accident they caused. In some cases, this indifference is part of an overall sociopathic character disorder. A sociopath is a person with antisocial attitudes and behaviors who has a lack of conscience. Simply stated, this person does not care about you or other drivers on the road and getting away with having to deal with consequences is a higher priority to them than stopping to make sure you are alright and having to face the post-accident consequences.
When it comes to your legal claim, the reason the driver left the scene of the accident is irrelevant. A Baldwin hit and run accident lawyer can pursue a legal claim no matter why the other driver fled the scene of the crash. To move forward with your case, reach out to Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. right away. We will help you seek a fair financial recovery following your accident.
Baldwin Hit and Run Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Compensation for Your Injuries
With the right approach, you could obtain the benefits you deserve following a hit and run accident. This could involve an insurance claim, an injury lawsuit, or a combination of the two. The types of compensation that are common following a hit and run accident include:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Diminished future earning power
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage costs
- Mental anguish
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
Our team can evaluate your injuries and advise you on what you might expect from a successful outcome. We look forward to the opportunity to aid you in your effort to obtain justice following a hit and run accident.
Recover Compensation After a Hit and Run Accident
If you are facing the consequences of a hit and run accident, you likely have a lot on your plate. Dealing with the insurance company can be frustrating, especially if you are trying to navigate your medical care needs at the same time.
A Baldwin hit and run accident lawyer can help ease the burden of a hit and run accident. The team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. can assist with the investigation and pursue all of your legal options on your behalf. To learn more about how we can help, call (516) 932-0400 to speak with a representative today.