According to the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA), 4,779 people lost their lives on the job working in the private sector in 2018. This translates to almost 13 people every day. About one in five of these deaths occurred in construction. If we exclude highway collisions, trips and falls are the number one cause of construction site deaths. They cause almost one-third of all construction site fatalities.
If you were injured anywhere in the five boroughs of New York City or Long Island in a trip and fall accident on a construction site, you could have the grounds for a personal injury claim. Contact Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. at (516) 932-0400 to learn more about filing a personal injury lawsuit to recover damages. If you qualify, one of our injury lawyer for construction accidents caused by construction site trip and falls will meet with you anywhere on Long Island, New York City, or the surrounding metropolitan area.
Causes of Trips and Falls
Trips and falls are often a combination of multiple factors. Examples include the following.
- A lack of worker training
- Poor servicing and maintenance
- Poor lighting
- Slick or uneven surfaces
- Liquid spills
- Water tracked into buildings due to rain or snow
- Inappropriate worker footwear
- Cluttered walkways
- Improperly placed wiring, pipes, tools or other construction-related items
- A lack of safety mechanisms such as railings in stairwells
- Changes in floor traction
- Inadequately marked changes in flooring heights
- Torn carpeting or slippery rugs
Beyond the above, a lack of fall protection—something typically attributed to employer-mandated safety standards—is a leading cause of fall injuries. OSHA Standard 1926.501 outlines safe working conditions for construction worksites. Some of these conditions include the following:
- Employers must determine whether worksite walking and working surfaces will bear the weight and movement needed to safely hold workers.
- Employees are only allowed to work on surfaces that meet strength and structural integrity requirements.
- Unprotected sides and edges that are six or more feet above a lower level must have a guardrail system, safety net, or personal fall arrest system to prevent a fall injury unless the use of such systems will pose a hazard. The law presumes that the use of such systems is feasible, and if not, the employer has the burden of proving so.
- Hoist areas must also be protected by systems similar to those outlined above.
- Holes must be covered to prevent employees from tripping or stepping into or through a hole.
- Ramps, runways, and other walkways must also have fall protection.
- Areas that pose a threat of falling must be barricaded to prevent employees from entering that area.
If you have suffered a serious injury, you may have the grounds for a personal injury claim. Please contact Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. today at (516) 932-0400. Our injury lawyer for construction accidents caused by construction site trip and falls will be able to help you through this time and, subject to the unique circumstances of your accident, will work passionately to build the strongest possible personal injury claim for you.
For a free legal consultation with a trip and fall construction site accidents lawyer serving New York, call 516-932-0400
Trip and Fall Injuries
A trip and fall accident can cause a wide range of injuries, from mild scratches, contusions, or bruises to complete physical incapacitation and death.
Injuries commonly seen in trip and fall accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Head, neck, and back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Nerve, muscle, and ligament damage
- Internal organ failure
- Internal bleeding
- Puncture wounds from falling on sharp objects
- Cuts and lacerations
- Broken or fractured bones
These injuries cost anywhere between a few hundred to tens of thousands of dollars to treat. Additional costs that the injured victim or his or her family face include lost income, mental trauma, or an inability to work. Tragically, you may even have lost a loved one. If you have, we extend our heartfelt sympathies. We invite you to speak with us for a compassionate and comprehensive consultation. We will inform you of your rights and guide you as you consider pursuing a wrongful death claim. We are dedicated to winning the compensation you need and the justice your departed loved one deserves.
New York Trip and Fall Construction Site Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
The Costs of Trips and Falls
Per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the costs of work site injuries due to falls in the form of productivity losses, lost wages, medical rehabilitation costs, and insurance overheads are roughly $70 billion every year.
These are real costs, especially when looked at from the perspective of the affected individual or his or her family. If you have grounds for a personal injury lawsuit against a negligent party that caused or contributed to your injuries or a party that may be statutorily liable without necessarily having been negligent, (as the property owner or general contractor may be under certain circumstances in construction site accidents,) you have a right to file a claim against them. Our experienced, dedicated team is here to do that for you as you get back on your feet.
Contact Our Trip and Fall Lawyer Today
Building a winning case is an undertaking that requires meticulous attention to detail. We must prove the cause of your trip and fall accident, estimate the value of your losses, gather all relevant evidence in support of your claim, and meet all legal and administrative deadlinesFriedman & Simon, L.L.P. will review your case, and if you qualify, we will work tirelessly to build the strongest possible claim for compensation. Based on the specifics of your accident, how it occurred, and who was involved, we will file a claim and:
- Keep you updated on your case
- Identify liable parties
- Communicate with all parties for you
- Gather evidence
- Determine a value for your case
We meet clients on Long Island or elsewhere in the New York metropolitan area and, when indicated, we arrange expert witnesses to provide testimony in support of your case. These include medical experts, vocational rehabilitation specialists, lifecare planners, and economists.
Do not hesitate to call us today at (516) 932-0400. Our injury lawyer for construction accidents caused by construction site trip and falls will help you. Reach out today for a free case evaluation with our multilingual staff. We will review your legal options in English, Spanish, Greek, Bengali, Tamil, and Kannada.