Motorists involved in auto accidents are expected to stop and exchange contact and insurance information with the other drivers. After all, New York Vehicle & Traffic § 600 makes it a criminal offense to leave the scene of an accident resulting in injury or property damage.
Still, some drivers speed away after being involved in a car accident. However, hit and run victims may still be able to recover compensation for damages, even if the at-fault driver leaves the scene.
If you or a loved one was in a hit and run accident, a North Bellmore hit and run accident lawyer from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. wants to help you. Call our office at (516) 932-0400 today for a free case evaluation.
- Negligent Drivers Without Insurance May Leave the Scene of an Accident
- You May Still Be Entitled to Compensation Even if the Driver Is Not Located
- New York Uninsured Drivers Coverage
- Factors That May Influence Financial Compensation
- Damages After a Hit and Run in New York
- Bringing a Wrongful Death Claim for a Fatal Hit and Run
- Important Deadlines That Will Impact Your Case
- Call Us for a Free Consultation
Negligent Drivers Without Insurance May Leave the Scene of an Accident
There are many reasons why a motorist may leave the scene of a serious auto accident. Often, a motorist flees an accident because they fear the repercussions. They may have caused the accident by running a red light, speeding, or otherwise violating New York traffic laws and are worried about receiving a citation or being arrested. Auto insurance is required under New York law, so uninsured motorists may flee the scene to avoid being caught without insurance.
Sadly, some people are lacking in integrity and are unwilling to take responsibility for their wrongful acts and have no empathy so they do not care at all what effect the accident has on you. They feel no guilt or remorse in leaving you to deal with the aftermath.
Hit and run accidents may also involve:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Texting and driving
- Reckless driving
- Drag racing
- Road rage
For a free legal consultation with a Hit And Run Accident lawyer serving North Bellmore, call 516-932-0400
You May Still Be Entitled to Compensation Even if the Driver Is Not Located
If you were able to remember a license plate number or a description of the vehicle that hit you, the police may be able to catch the person who caused your accident. However, many hit and run accident victims are too injured to take note of who caused the accident.
A North Bellmore hit and run accident lawyer from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will help you regardless of whether the at-fault driver is found. If police identify the at-fault driver and the driver is insured, we will help you bring a claim against them. If the at-fault driver is not found or is uninsured, we will try to find other avenues for seeking compensation.
North Bellmore Hit And Run Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
New York Uninsured Drivers Coverage
New York requires uninsured motorist coverage, meaning you might have the option to recover compensation for the damages caused by your hit and run accident through an uninsured motorist claim with your own insurance company.
Although you may be working with your own insurance company, getting the compensation you deserve after being the victim of a hit and run is not always easy. Insurance companies may offer payouts that only cover a small portion of the victim’s damages.
Although insurance companies spend millions of dollars on advertising to build a public image that depicts them as being like good neighbors or assuring you that you are in good hands with them, once an uninsured motorist claim is filed with your insurance company, they will view you and treat you as an adversary. They will try to pay you as little as possible or nothing if they can. They will do this by claiming your injuries are not as severe as you say or, perhaps, that you failed to follow some technical requirement in filing your claim. This is why it is best to have an experienced and dedicated hit and run accident lawyer fighting for you.
A lawyer from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf and help you avoid unfair settlement offers. Our goal is to get you the compensation you need to cover your past, present, and future expenses incurred by the hit and run accident.
Factors That May Influence Financial Compensation
Damages are the losses that an injured person suffers. Through a personal injury claim, you may be able to recover compensation for your damages. The amount of compensation you may be entitled to receive depends on many different factors, including:
- The type of injuries that you suffered
- How much medical treatment you require
- The effect that your injuries have on your ability to work and perform everyday functions
- Whether your injuries have resulted in permanent impairment or disability
- Whether your own negligence contributed to the accident
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Damages After a Hit and Run in New York
You may receive compensation for the past, present, and future costs associated with your accident. You could be compensated for:
- The cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle
- Medical expenses, including costs related to doctor appointments, hospital care, specialist treatment, medical procedures, follow-up appointments, rehabilitative care, medication, and more
- Lost wages from the time you spent off work
- Future lost wages and impairment to your income-earning ability
- Pain and suffering and other non-economic damages
Bringing a Wrongful Death Claim for a Fatal Hit and Run
If your loved one has died after being the victim of a hit and run, the team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. offers our sincere condolences. There is nothing that will compensate someone for the loss of a relative. However, the costs incurred by a wrongful death can be considerable. You may be able to recover compensation and hold the at-fault party accountable through a wrongful death claim.
You may receive compensation for:
- Loss of the decedent’s wages and benefits
- Loss of the decedent’s services
- The decedent’s pain and suffering
- Medical bills
- Funeral and burial expensesOur Team Wants to Help You
If you have been injured in a hit and run or lost your loved one in a tragic accident, you need time to focus on healing. Let a lawyer from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. handle your case for you.
Our team will:
- Ensure you are up-to-date about your case
- Determine all of the liable parties
- Communicate with the necessary parties on your behalf
- Gather evidence that will strengthen your claim
- Determine how much your case is worth
- Fight relentlessly to win the best possible outcome for you
Call our office at (516) 932-0400 today for a free case evaluation.
Important Deadlines That Will Impact Your Case
New York personal injury and wrongful death cases are subject to certain time restrictions called the statute of limitations, according to New York Civil Practice Laws & Rules § 214 and New York Estates, Powers & Trusts § 5-4.1. If an injured person or the representative of a deceased person does not file their lawsuit within the applicable time period, they may be unable to bring a case at all. Act before the statute of limitations expires.
In addition to these legal deadlines, practical considerations also dictate that taking prompt action is best. Evidence such as witness statements and dash-cam and surveillance video is best sought as soon as possible after an accident, as they can become unavailable for a variety of reasons.
The quicker we get started on your case, the better. The sooner you reach out to us, the greater our opportunity to build the strongest case possible on your behalf.
Call Us for a Free Consultation
For help understanding your legal options and seeking compensation after a hit and run, hire a North Bellmore hit and run accident lawyer from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. Call our office today at (516) 932-0400 for a free, confidential case assessment.