When you experience an accident with an Uber or Lyft driver in Brookhaven, New York, you have options for seeking damages for your injuries. You could file an insurance claim or lawsuit against the liable party and collect compensation for medical bills, missed wages, and other losses you endured.
A ridesharing accident lawyer from our firm is ready to answer your questions about this process, file your claim, and protect your rights. At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., initial consultations are always free, and you pay nothing up front for representation.
In This Article
- What We Do to Help Your Case
- We Help with Many Kinds of Ridesharing Accidents
- Who Pays Your Damages Depends on Several Factors
- Recoverable Damages for Ridesharing Accident Injuries
- Will You Have to Sue?
- What You Should Do After a Ridesharing Accident
- We Want to Be Your Legal Advocate While You Recover
- Call for a Free Consultation Today
What We Do to Help Your Case
Although Uber and Lyft accidents are more complicated than typical car accidents, our approach is the same. We combine our deep knowledge of New York State liability and negligence laws with our determination to secure compensation for injured people.
A ridesharing accident lawyer with our firm will:
- Keep you updated so you always know what is happening with your case
- Prove liability or wrongdoing against the other party
- Communicate and coordinate with all involved parties
- Collect evidence to build your case
- Establish a value for damages and seek compensation through a settlement or judgement
Our team has fluent speakers in many languages, including Greek, Spanish, Bengali, Tamil, and Kannada. We also patiently, respectfully and comprehensively translate “legalese” so that you understand your rights, the claims process, and what to expect at each stage of your case.
For a free legal consultation with a Uber and Lyft Ridesharing Accident lawyer serving Brookhaven, call 516-932-0400
We Help with Many Kinds of Ridesharing Accidents
Our lawyers are able to help anyone who is injured in an Uber or Lyft ridesharing accident that is the result of negligence or wrongdoing, including:
- Ridesharing passengers
- A ridesharing driver
- A third party (pedestrian, bicyclist, and other drivers)
Depending on the circumstances and timeline of your accident, we will file an insurance claim against the driver’s auto policy or against the ridesharing company’s liability coverage.
Brookhaven Uber and Lyft Ridesharing Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Who Pays Your Damages Depends on Several Factors
Transportation network companies like Uber and Lyft are legally obligated to carry insurance to cover accidents involving their drivers. The amount and availability of this coverage is stated in the State of New York, Department of Financial Services “Industry FAQS – Property Insurers: Transportation Network Company (Ride Sharing) FAQs”
- When a driver is logged onto the TNC’s digital network (Period 1), the insurance policy must provide at least $75,000 for bodily injury to or death of one person in any one accident; at least $150,000 for bodily injury to or death of two or more persons in any one accident; and at least $25,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident (“75/150/25” coverage). The policy must also include uninsured motorist (“UM”) insurance, and personal injury protection (“no-fault”) insurance.
- When a driver is engaged in a pre-arranged trip (Period 2), the insurance policy must provide at least $1,250,000 for bodily injury to or death of any person and injury to or destruction of property; supplemental uninsured/underinsured (“SUM”) insurance of $1,250,000 and personal injury protection (“no-fault”) insurance.
(Please note: “VTL Article 44-B does not apply to a prearranged trip originating in New York City.” If you were injured in an accident involving a rideshare vehicle in The City of New York, please consult with us as to the specific rules that apply to your situation.)
If you are hurt in a car accident with an Uber or Lyft driver who is not logged into the ridesharing app and is not accepting ride requests, your injuries and damages would be covered under the driver’s personal auto insurance.
An accident attorney from our firm takes care of filing claims with either the ridesharing company or the driver in Brookhaven, depending on the specific case.
Click to contact our Brookhaven Car Accident Lawyers today
Recoverable Damages for Ridesharing Accident Injuries
You could recover the following types of compensatory damages:
- Ambulance and emergency room service
- Prescription medicine
- Medical equipment
- Post-accident rehabilitation and therapy
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Property damage
- Temporary transportation
- Other accident-related bills and expenses
- Diminished quality of life
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
Some Uber and Lyft accident injuries are severe, and you could be left temporarily or permanently disabled, disfigured, or with a lifelong medical issue. Our team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will advocate for compensation to spare you and your loved one from financial hardship due to someone else’s negligence.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Will You Have to Sue?
In our experience, many car accident cases resolve without going to court. Uber and Lyft are conscious about their public image. They will probably want to avoid the negative publicity of a trial.
A personal injury lawyer with our firm will negotiate on your behalf. However, if the other side fails to offer an appropriate, acceptable settlement based upon your injuries and evidence of liability, we file a personal injury lawsuit in Brookhaven.
However, you have a limited time for legal action in New York State. If you miss the deadline for filing a personal injury lawsuit, the court will dismiss your complaint.
What You Should Do After a Ridesharing Accident
Seeking a doctor after any kind of car accident can help ensure that you receive treatment for any injuries before they worsen. If you are not taken to the hospital by ambulance at the scene, you could call your regular healthcare provider or go to a walk-in clinic for evaluation. It is crucial to follow your doctor’s instructions for your best health outcome.
- Politely decline to speak to the insurance adjuster (or ridesharing company representative) and direct them to us instead to protect your case.
- Keep all bills, medical test results, and other accident-related documentation to give to our team.
- Avoid social media posts that include details about your accident, your opinion about the driver or the rideshare company, or any discussion about the collision at all.
We Want to Be Your Legal Advocate While You Recover
Our personal injury attorneys at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. understand the complex process of Uber and Lyft ridesharing accident cases. We will manage the entire insurance and legal process for you, leaving you free to focus on your health and well-being.
We have recovered over $250 million in damages for past injured victims. Here are a just a couple of the case results that we have won clients who were injured in car accidents:
- $4.1 million for passenger injured as a result of being ejected from a car
- $4 million settlement for a group of injured workers injured when their van rolled over.
Call for a Free Consultation Today
You have already suffered because of someone’s careless actions or failure to act. An Uber and Lyft ridesharing accident lawyer from our team will protect your rights, file your claim, and fight for your compensation in Brookhaven. Call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. today for a free consultation: (516) 932-0400.
Call or text 516-932-0400 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form