What a truck accident lawyer does to represent your best interests and seek justice after your New York City or Long Island collision depends on your specific needs and the facts of your accident case. However, you can count on them to help you take the necessary steps to pursue an appropriate payout and hold the liable party accountable.
This generally includes using their understanding of commercial vehicle accident law to:
- Protect your rights
- Investigate the accident
- Document your injuries and losses
- Navigate the claims process or represent you at trial
- Seek the payout you are entitled to on your behalf
Protecting Your Right to Pursue Damages
The legal team you work with on your truck accident case should explain your rights as an accident victim and how the applicable laws affect these rights. To protect your rights, they should also take several steps on your behalf. This includes:
- Taking note of all applicable deadlines and meeting them
- Getting to work on your case as early as possible following your accident, when evidence is fresh
- Ensuring the trucking company preserves all potential evidence via a spoliation letter
Your attorney will also take over all communication related to your case, ensuring your words will not be used against you. This could include communications in writing or verbally with parties such as:
- Your auto insurer
- The truck driver accused of causing the accident
- The trucking company employing the driver and their corporate legal team
- The insurance company that represents the trucking company or other liable party
Investigating Your Accident and Building an Argument for Compensation
As a part of developing a case to support a just settlement or court award, your attorney will launch an investigation into your accident. They will seek information about and evidence to prove:
● Who was involved
● What happened
● Why it happened
● The damages you suffered, both economic and non-economic
Your legal team will need to identify and interview eyewitnesses to the accident, obtain your relevant medical records, review the police report about the accident, and analyze physical evidence. Accident reconstruction experts may perform an assessment of the collision, and your lawyer may work with other experts, as necessary, including:
● Medical experts
● Vocational rehabilitation specialists
● Life care planners
● Other expert witnesses
This work to develop a case will allow them to assign liability and enter into the claims process by demanding a just payout from the truck driver’s employer, in most cases.
Navigating the Claims Process on Your Behalf
By investigating your accident and learning as much as possible about what happened, your lawyer develops a strong argument to demonstrate that:
- You qualify to take legal action based on the facts of the case.
- The trucking company is vicariously liable for its employee’s negligence.
- You suffered damages and deserve a just payout based on the evidence of your losses.
Your attorney will present this argument to the trucking company and their legal team or their insurer and demand they compensate you appropriately based on the evidence of damages you offer. If they deny the claim or refuse a fair offer, your lawyer should feel comfortable filing a case in civil court and representing you at trial, as necessary.
Working with Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. on Your Truck Accident Case
If you choose to work with Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. on your New York City or Long Island truck accident case, what a truck accident lawyer does for you will include the following:
- Keep you updated on your case
- Identify the liable parties
- Communicate with all parties for you
- Gather evidence
- Determine the fair value for your case
- Fight relentlessly to win you the best possible results
We seek justice for our clients by working to hold the liable parties accountable. In a truck accident case, some common recoverable damages include:
- Medical treatment and related care expenses
- Ongoing care and support expenses
- Lost income, including wages and benefits
- Diminished earning capacity
- Out-of-pocket expenses related to the accident
- Pain and suffering damages
- Other non-economic losses
Since New York Civil Practice Laws & Rules (CVP) §214 sets a deadline for filing a lawsuit in a truck accident case, and because it is imperative we protect evidence in the hands of the trucking company, as well as other evidence such as dash-cam and surveillance video and witness statements, which are best captured promptly, we like to get started on these cases right away. Simply stated, the sooner you contact us, the greater our opportunity to build the strongest case possible on your behalf. Call us as soon as your injuries allow.
Speak with a Team Member from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. Today
At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., our team meets potential clients on Long Island or elsewhere in the New York metropolitan area for complimentary case consultations and assessments. We are passionate advocates for the injured, fighting for the best interests of our clients. We also have a multilingual staff (Spanish, Greek, Bengali, Tamil, and Kannada) to serve you if needed.
Call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. today at (516) 932-0400 to learn more.