What damages you can collect for a truck accident depends on the injuries you sustained and the losses and expenses you faced and reasonably anticipate you will face as a result. If you have a case to show you were the victim of the accident, you can file a claim and potentially take your accident case to trial to seek damages. The types of damages available in a truck accident case include:
- Both economic and non-economic, or intangible, damages
- Past, current, and future damages
- Payment of bills, as well as reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses already paid
Your attorney will patiently explain what an appropriate settlement range will look like after completing their investigation into your accident.
Types of Damages Available in a Typical Truck Accident Case
What damages you can collect for a truck accident varies depending on the facts of your collision and the relevant, supportive evidence available for presentation on your behalf. This documentation is key to securing a just payout from the insurer, either during settlement negotiations or as a court award.
Your attorney will calculate how much your case might be worth and the potential value in each category of damages as part of the process of filing your insurance claim or civil suit. Some common types of damages available to truck accident victims include:
- Medical treatment and care costs, as well as related expenses
- Future treatment and necessary follow-up care
- Ongoing care and support costs for catastrophic injuries
- Lost income, such as wages and benefits
- Impaired earning capacity, if there are permanent injuries
- Expenses paid out of pocket
- Pain and suffering damages
- Other non-economic losses
Damages Following a Fatal Truck Accident
If you suffered the tragic loss of your loved one in a New York truck accident case, we offer you our heartfelt condolences. We urge you to talk about your legal options with an attorney who pursues wrongful death damages for families like yours. Our team understands New York Estates, Powers & Trusts (EPT) §5-4.1 and will help you navigate this process. We will explain:
- If you qualify to file legal action based on the statute
- The types of damages potentially available
- Other family members who will qualify for compensation
- Other types of damages you will be able to pursue on behalf of your loved one’s estate
We view representing the surviving family members in truck accident wrongful death cases as a special privilege. We are determined to win the compensation you need and the justice your beloved departed family member deserves.
Our Team Knows How to Seek Damages for New York Truck Accident Victims
At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., we often represent New York truck accident victims who need help navigating the claims process and securing compensation for the damages they suffered. We will do the following for our clients:
- Keep them updated on their case, including addressing questions and concerns
- Identifying any and all liable parties, which is not always straightforward in a truck accident case
- Communicating with all parties on behalf of the client
- Gathering as much evidence as possible, including preserving evidence in the trucking company’s possession
- Determining a fair value for the case and backing this up with evidence
- Fight relentlessly to win the best possible outcome for you
Calculating future and intangible damages after a New York City or Long Island truck accident is often more complicated than valuing economic damages. Our team has a network of expert witnesses we work with who help us with this process. This includes life care planners, medical experts, vocational rehabilitation specialists, and economists. We work closely with these professionals, analyze medical records, and utilize our experience in similar cases to put a just settlement range on your damages.
We can often use the evidence of damages to negotiate an agreement with the insurance company that will fairly compensate our clients. If this is not possible, we can file a civil suit.
There are time limits on taking legal action per New York Civil Practice Laws & Rules (CVP) §214. However, we need to take action quickly regardless of whether we will go to trial. Evidence disappears quickly in these cases, especially since much of it is likely in the trucking company’s hands. Other potential evidence, such as witness statements and dash-cam and surveillance video, are also items that should be sought out and collected as soon as possible.
Discuss Your Accident with a Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. Team Member Today
At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., our team provides complimentary case assessments to truck accident victims. If you were hurt in a collision on Long Island or elsewhere in the New York metropolitan area, we want to speak with you today. You can reach Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. by calling (516) 932-0400.
As passionate advocates for the injured, we want to provide you with the best client service possible. This includes meeting with you in an area near you, including in an area hospital or your home. We also have staff who will speak with you in the language most comfortable for you, including Spanish, Greek, Bengali, Tamil, or Kannada.