Have There Been Any Successful Talcum Powder Settlements or Verdicts?
Since 2013, there have been successful talcum powder settlements and verdicts in courts nationwide. The first federal case to go in front of a jury resulted in a verdict for the plaintiff. The jury agreed with the Sioux Falls, SD, woman that her ovarian cancer occurred, in part, because of her long-term use of Shower to Shower. This is a talc-based powder used for feminine hygiene manufactured by Johnson & Johnson.
It was reported that the jury recommended that Johnson & Johnson put warning labels on their talc-based products, an action that the consumer products giant has never agreed to take.
The outcome of this case and several others that have already gone in front of jurors is a good sign for plaintiffs participating in the multidistrict litigation in the matter, MDL-2738. This mass tort case is currently pending in U.S. District Court – District of New Jersey in August 2020.
Other Courts Have Awarded Large Payouts to Plaintiffs
While Johnson & Johnson has won a few court battles, juries have awarded billions of dollars to plaintiffs in talcum powder cancer cases, including large punitive awards. This includes the following:
- A Missouri jury awarded $4.7 billion to 22 women in a mass tort in 2018. This included $550 million for compensatory losses and $4.1 billion in punitive damages. An appeal reduced the punitive damages to $2.12 billion in June 2020.
- 2019 jury verdicts included a June verdict that ordered Johnson & Johnson and Colgate-Palmolive Co. to pay $10 million to a plaintiff, and a May verdict from a New York jury that cost Johnson & Johnson $325 million.
- In January of 2020, a settlement agreement between Johnson & Johnson and a plaintiff with mesothelioma, in one of the first settlements related to this type of claim. Johnson & Johnson accepted no fault in the case as a part of the agreement.
Powder Manufacturers Likely Knew About Asbestos Contamination
While there have been successful talcum powder settlements and verdicts, they represent only a handful of the more than 18,000 talcum powder cancer lawsuits filed. Most are still pending as of August 2020. While the first case did not produce a payout for the plaintiff, there is a lot more known today than there was at that point.
In 2018, news agency Reuters published an investigative report that offered evidence to show the talcum powder manufacturers may have known about the cancer link as early as 1971. Further evidence suggested that the manufacturers confirmed asbestos contamination in their products shortly afterward.
This asbestos contamination is suspected to be the most likely culprit for causing both mesothelioma and ovarian cancer since asbestos is a known carcinogen. Even before this discovery, juries recommended that Johnson & Johnson include warning labels not to use their talc-based products for feminine hygiene purposes.
Based on this, as well as other verdicts and large punitive damages awards, it is clear that juries across the country believe there is a link between using talc-based products and the development of ovarian cancer and mesothelioma.
Building a Case for a Successful Talcum Powder Settlement or Verdict
If you work with Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. on your talcum powder lawsuit, we will protect your right to take legal action and build a case for compensation. When we represent a client, we make sure the following take place:
- You Are Kept Updated on Your Case
- All Liable Parties Are Identified
- Communication With All Involved Parties Is Handled for YouEvidence is Gathered to Support Your Claim.
- Determine a Value for Your Case
This may include calling in medical experts to review your case, documenting your damages, and handling your participation in MDL-2738, if this occurs in your case. If our team succeeds in recovering compensation for you, the damages will likely include:
- Medical treatment and related expenses
- Lost income and reduced earning capacity
- Related expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Other non-economic losses
- Punitive damages, in some cases
There are deadlines for filing a talcum powder lawsuit, but these deadlines differ based on many factors. The best way to learn about the time limits in your case is to call for a free case evaluation.
Speak With a Member of Our Talcum Powder Lawsuit Team
At Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., we review talcum powder cancer cases for free. If you used talcum powder products and later received a cancer diagnosis, especially ovarian cancer or mesothelioma, we are here to help. Our multilingual staff members are passionate advocates for the injured.
Speak to a member of our team and learn more about how our talc lawsuit lawyers handle these cases. Call (516) 932-0400 today for a free case review.