According to the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH), distracted driving caused over 7,600 accidents in Nassau County in 2014, resulting in 825 visits to the emergency department. After an accident with a distracted driver, you could be facing significant and costly injuries.
Thankfully, if you suffered injuries from a texting and driving accident, you could be entitled to compensation for your losses. You do not have to bear the expenses of your medical costs on your own. To learn more about your legal options moving forward, a Glen Cove texting while driving accident lawyer at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will help you seek justice.
To better serve your unique needs, our attorneys will provide numerous legal services during your fight for justice, including:
- Providing updates on your case
- Identifying the liable driver
- Communicating with liable parties on your behalf
- Gathering evidence using expert witnesses, if needed
- Assigning case values
- Fighting tirelessly to win the best possible case result for you
To get started with your free consultation and case review, contact a Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. representative today at (516) 932-0400.
In This Article
- Texting and Driving Laws in New York State
- Recoverable Losses for Victims of Texting and Driving
- Common Injuries from Texting While Driving Accidents
- Texting and Driving Lawyers Serving Victims in Glen Cove
Texting and Driving Laws in New York State
According to the New York State Police, state law bans drivers from using handheld cell phones and electronics behind the wheel – with very few exceptions.
Overall, it is illegal for drivers to perform any of the following actions on the roadway:
- Holding a cellphone to make phone calls or send text messages
- Using a handheld device to capture, send, or review pictures
- Using a handheld cell phone to look at websites, text messages, or e-mails
- Playing mobile games behind the wheel
However, there are three main exceptions to these rules:
- Using a hands-free cell phone device
- Using a handheld cell phone while driving an emergency vehicle and performing your official duties
- Using a handheld device to make an emergency phone call to the hospital, doctor’s office, police, ambulance company, or fire department
If an at-fault driver was using a cellphone and this distraction caused your accident, a lawyer can investigate this as they build evidence of negligence in your case. If the driver’s distraction was not recorded in a police report, a lawyer may be able to collect evidence by other means, such as witness testimony.
For a free legal consultation with a Texting While Driving Accident lawyer serving Glen Cove, call 516-932-0400
Recoverable Losses for Victims of Texting and Driving
Drivers in Glen Cove have the responsibility of knowing that texting while driving is against the law. Therefore, they should be prepared to deal with the financial consequences of their actions. If a negligent driver is found liable for your injuries, you could be eligible for economic and non-economic damages to help you recover from your injuries and rebuild your life.
Examples of recoverable damages include:
- Healthcare expenses
- Lost wages and benefits
- Diminished earning potential
- Property damage
- Mental anguish, covering Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), impaired quality of life, loss of consortium, and more
- Assistance with disfigurements and ongoing disabilities
- Rehabilitation programs for physical, psychological, or cognitive injuries
- Pain and suffering from your physical injuries
- And more
Glen Cove Texting While Driving Accident Lawyer Near Me 516-932-0400
Common Injuries from Texting While Driving Accidents
When a driver must brake suddenly, avoid a road hazard, or simply change lanes, a distracted driver could carelessly execute those actions. If the distracted driver’s negligence causes an accident, your injuries could be life-changing.
Common injuries from texting while driving accidents include:
- Broken/ fractured bones
- Lacerations, bruises, and scrapes, otherwise known as “road rash”
- Herniated disks
- Internal injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- And more
When you retain a Glen Cove texting while driving accident lawyer at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P., we will help you calculate the true cost of your injuries. That includes adding up the cost of your previous medical expenses and estimating the cost of your long-term treatment plan.
Our attorneys, as called for by the unique circumstances of your case, also reach out to industry professionals and specialists from relevant fields of study to help us understand, and quantify, the extent of your injuries. These expert witnesses include life care planners, economists, vocational rehabilitation experts, medical professionals, and more.
To learn more about calculating damages in Glen Cove, contact Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. today at (516) 932-0400 to receive your free consultation with one of our team members.
Texting and Driving Lawyers Serving Victims in Glen Cove
At the end of the day, our attorneys at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will help manage your legal process so that you can focus on your recovery. With a Glen Cove texting while driving accident lawyer by your side, you can rest assured knowing that we are fighting to seek compensation for you.
Our staff speaks many different languages to assist you with your case, including Greek, Kannada, Spanish, Tamil, and Bengali. Additionally, we know how hard it can be to get around after a serious accident, which is why we will be happy to meet you on Long Island and throughout the New York metropolitan area.
Keep in mind that New York Civil Practice Laws & Rules (CVP) §214 sets a deadline for accident victims in New York State. If you forget about this window of opportunity and wait too long to take legal action, your case may be dismissed. In addition to this statute of limitations, other deadlines apply to claims and lawsuits as well. In addition to the statute of limitations and other claim and lawsuit deadlines, considerations, as to promptly obtaining evidence such as witness statements and dash-cam and surveillance videos, are critically important. Too often, if these items are not collected promptly, they become unavailable for a variety of reasons. The sooner you contact us, the greater our opportunity to build the strongest case possible on your behalf.
For more information about your legal options, contact a Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. representative today at (516) 932-0400 to get started with your free case review.