Home » News » Personal Injury » What Happens If I Was Injured While Visiting New York City?

What Happens If I Was Injured While Visiting New York City?

If you or a family member suffered injuries while visiting New York City, you may be entitled to seek financial compensation. Contact a New York City personal injury lawyer for help understanding how the laws apply to you and how to file a claim against the responsible party or parties

Injuries to Annual Visitors in New York City

You do not have to live in New York City to hold the party who is at-fault for your injuries financially responsible. Common injuries to tourists and visitors in New York City could include accidents while navigating large, busy streets, slip, trip, and fall injuries at tourist destinations, and car accidents on unfamiliar roads.

An unexpected injury suddenly turns a vacation in New York City from a fun-filled adventure into a flurry of emergency room and hospital visits. Take safety precautions to protect yourself while you are visiting the city.

New York City Safety Precautions

Amid the bustle and excitement of visiting New York City, you should take certain safety precautions to minimize becoming the victim of an accidental injury or assault. From the New York Police Department, those precautions include:

  • Do not carry a lot of money and do not carry your money in your back pocket.
  • Enter and exit cars, taxis, and rideshares on the curbside of the street.
  • Be careful and vigilant of your surroundings.
  • Do not leave personal items unattended.

New York City is a busy place that might initially be confusing for tourists who are unfamiliar with its hectic atmosphere.

Get Emergency and Follow-Up Treatment for Your Injuries

When you suffer injuries in your home city, you know where to turn for emergency and follow-up medical care. When an accident occurs that causes you to sustain injuries in an unfamiliar city, you might not be as sure of where to turn.

First, call 911—or have someone traveling with you call—for emergency medical assistance. Once the hospital discharges you to return home, follow up with your usual health care provider. Always see a doctor for a complete medical examination and documentation of your injuries if hurt in an accident. This medical assessment is an important part of your physical health and your compensation claim and should not be overlooked.

Meet New York City’s Timeline for Personal Injury Claims

Like your home state and every state in the U.S., New York has a statute of limitations that gives you a limited amount of time to file a personal injury claim, New York Civil Practice Laws & Rules §214. In addition to ensuring you meet this timeline, as well as other time-limited requirements of making injury claims, we do the following for our clients:

  • Keep you updated on your case
  • Identify liable parties
  • Communicate with all parties for you
  • Gather evidence
  • Determine a value for your case

Do not hesitate to contact a lawyer who will fight for you while you are in New York City and who will continue to fight for you when you return home. We are advocates for our injured clients and will fight to get the compensation you deserve for the injuries you endured.

Take Steps If You Were Injured While Visiting New York City

New York City is an incredible tourist destination. In 2018, 65 million people visited New York City, according to the city’s marketing agency, NYC & Company annual report. If you or a family member suffered injuries during a visit to New York City, speak to a New York City lawyer who is able to guide you and advance all aspects of the process of filing a financial claim for your injuries. Your lawyer will also manage your case after you return home.

If you or a family member were hurt while visiting New York City, you do not have to fight for compensation alone. We have successfully represented many injury victims who were hurt in New York City and then returned to other states in the United States or even to other countries around the world. Call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. at (516) 932-0400 for a free consultation if you need a local lawyer to fight for the financial compensation you are entitled to receive even after you return to your home city.

Contact Friedman & Simon, L.L.P.

One of our experienced attorneys will contact you right away...

English English Spanish Spanish
Friedman & Simon, L.L.P.
Click to call

Contact Friedman & Simon, L.L.P.

One of our experienced attorneys will contact you right away...