Baldwin Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Lawyer
Nursing homes and Assisted Living Facilities (ALFs) are supposed to be safe, comfortable, and caring places for our older family members. Although there are such facilities, there are many nursing homes and ALFs where abuse and neglect of their residents do in fact tragically take place.
If you suspect that an elderly loved one is suffering from nursing home abuse or neglect, please take immediate action. Our legal team will review your case and if there is negligence we will pursue compensation from all responsible parties. We are happy to meet with you where it is most convenient on Long Island and in the metropolitan New York area.
For a free, no-obligation consultation, call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. at (516) 932-0400.
We Take Nursing Home Abuse Cases to Heart
Nursing home abuse violates both state and federal statutes. We share your concerns and outrage that a caregiver or facility could mistreat parents and grandparents who are frail and vulnerable. Our legal team will do all we can to hold the liable parties accountable and pursue compensation for you and your loved one.
Should we become your legal advocate, you will have the strength of our firm on your side.
A Baldwin nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer with Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will seek compensation with a process that includes:
- A thorough review of evidence and documentation to support our claim for abuse or neglect.
- Management of communication with the facility and identification of liable parties (we may also contact state agencies to put the facility on notice).
- Assessment of all injuries and damages.
- Filing either a medical malpractice or personal injury claim with the intention of collecting against the defendant’s insurance.
- Negotiating with the involved parties for the best possible
Nursing homes and ALFs, especially those that are for-profit, usually want to avoid the negative publicity of a trial. We will do our best to obtain the greatest settlement on your behalf. However, depending upon the unique circumstances of your loved one’s case, our nursing home abuse and neglect lawyers can and will take your case to trial if the defendant refuses to make the appropriate settlement offer.
Warning Signs of Nursing Home Abuse
76 in every 1,000 elder New York residents experience some form of elder abuse. It is often difficult for nursing home abuse victims to tell their stories. They fear recrimination from their abusers, or they are simply unable to effectively communicate about what is happening to them.
Our legal team at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. are usually contacted by concerned family members or friends. That is why we want to share these warning signs of abuse and neglect, according to the elder abuse statistics of the National Council on Aging (NCOA):
- Physical and/or sexual abuse leaves victims with unexplained bruises, burns, broken or fractured bones, or bleeding. They may also show fear of a specific caregiver.
- Emotional abuse warning signs include unusual or unexplained depression, withdrawal from normal activities, and a noticeably hostile caregiver relationship.
- Financial abuse includes large cash withdrawals, missing valuables, and unexplained credit card purchases.
- Neglect can be identified from bedsores, unwashed clothes or bedding, weight loss, dehydration, and inadequate medical care.
Please take immediate action if your loved one is in a life-threatening situation. When your family member is safe, call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. for a free consultation: (516) 932-0400.
How We Demonstrate Negligence
A Baldwin nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer with Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will secure the evidence necessary to prove negligence and pursue compensation on your behalf.
This evidence could include:
- Review of prior complaints, violations, or disciplinary action against the facility.
- Eyewitness accounts and a statement from your loved one, if possible.
- Photos or videos of the victim’s bruises.
- Expert testimony from geriatric professionals, elder abuse specialists, physicians, and mental health counselors.
- Medical evaluation by a healthcare provider on the extent and severity of both physical and emotional injuries.
We then use this evidence to show liability.
There May Be Multiple Liable Parties
Depending on your case, there may be more than one liable party, and might include:
- A Facility manager or administrator
- Individual caregiver(s)
- Charge nurse
- Staff physicians
- Other residents
Nursing home abuse and neglect happen in both not-for-profit and for-profit facilities. Any facility that, or individual who, is charged with responsibility for the well-being of your loved one, and is aware of these actions, and turns a blind eye, should be held accountable.
Please call Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. for a free consultation at our office, your home, or the nursing home or ALF. A member of our team is ready to take your call: (516) 932-0400.
We Fight for the Compensation You Deserve
Our lawyers at Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. will carefully evaluate your damages. While we cannot erase this horrific act, we will aggressively pursue compensation for you and your loved one.
The types of damages for a nursing home abuse and neglect claim might include:
- Medical treatment including emergency or critical care services
- Medical transportation from the nursing home to the hospital, another facility, or your home
- Relocation expenses for moving your loved one
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
- Mental anguish
If your loved one passed away because of abuse and neglect, we extend our condolences to you for your loss. Our firm will pursue compensation through a wrongful death lawsuit. We are dedicated to getting the financial results you need and the justice your beloved loved one deserves.
The Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. Commitment
We treat each client as we would our own family. Our commitment to client service means that we will:
- Communicate with regular updates about your case
- Prove liability with evidence to show negligence
- Handle communication with all parties
- Collect evidence for a compelling case
- Establish a value for damages to accurately represent your losses
Our nursing home abuse and neglect lawyers work on a contingency fee basis only. You owe attorney fees only if and when we are successful in getting compensation for you.
If you suspect nursing home abuse or neglect, please call a Baldwin nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer from Friedman & Simon, L.L.P. to protect the legal rights of you and your loved one. For a free consultation, call (516) 932-0400.